Riverton Elementary School
1600 Forest Ave, Portland, ME 04103-1399
FAX: (207) 874-8271
About Our School:
We are so excited for the 2014/2015 school year. Riverton Rocks!
Grades 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 will start Sept 2. 8am*
Kindergarten students have a classroom visit Sept 3rd 9:30 along with a bus ride and then will start here at school Thursday September 4th.
Pre-Kindergarten students will start Monday September 8th, 8:45-11:30. Sept 8th, 9th, & 10th - 8:45-11:30.
Beginning Thursday Sept 11th class time will be 8:45 - 1:30 for our pre-k students.
*Please do not drop off your child before 8:00am. There is no staff on duty before 8:00am. If you need childcare before school, please contact the Portland Recreation Dept: 756-8275.
**Please take a moment and check out the link to right of the page and read our School Success Plan. **
A message from our principal:
Dear Riverton Community,
Here at Riverton we have many, many accomplishments that we can be proud of. Below are some of the highlights:
- extended the school day to offer additional instructional and enrichment time to students
- implemented block scheduling that allows grade levels to meet, plan and collaborate
- utilized job embedded professional development in reading/writing to increase student achievement and teacher practice
- invested in technology across the school to better engage students in their learning and provide tools for differentiation
- expanded strategies to involve parents in supporting the academic achievement and social skills of their children and provide increased communication in their native languages
- focused on school culture and developed school norms and procedures around safety, respect, cooperation and responsibility
These highlights will help to frame our work for the coming school year. We will continue our work with Reader’s/Writer’s Workshop. Students have increased their volume of reading and writing. We are very proud of our student work and display it throughout the school. Visitors from across Maine and New England have come to Riverton to see what we are doing in our classrooms.
This year, we are transitioning to a new math program, Everyday Math. It is a research-based program that connects conceptual understanding with real world applications. The program also has many on-line resources that we will be sharing with you throughout the year.
We ask that you continue your partnership with our school.
We are committed to providing your child with the quality education that they deserve and will need in order to be successful in this rapidly changing world. We ask that you ensure that your child is at school everyday, on time and remain at school until the end of the day.
Please become a member of our Parent Teacher Organization. They do so much for our students and staff!!! They need your help and support in planning and implementing school activities (Back to School BBQ, International Potluck, Talent Show, Picture Day, Family Fun Day, Vision and Hearing screenings, Staff Appreciation Luncheon). We also encourage you to invite a neighbor who may not have children at our school so that they can learn about all the exciting progress taking place at Riverton Elementary.
As we start this “new” year, let us all work together (parents, community members, students and staff) in creating another positive and successful school year.
“YES, WE CAN!!!!!”
Riverton Principal Jeanne Malia