Reiche Elementary School
Reiche Community School
166 Brackett Street
Portland, Maine 04102
About Our School:
Please visit http://reiche.portlandschools.org for Reiche news and information.
Located in the West End, Reiche Community School provides a challenging curriculum for its diverse student body. Over twenty-two nations are represented, with twenty-nine languages spoken. Our close proximity to the Arts District allows our students access to all of the cultural enhancements that Portland has to offer. We value our diverse community and understand that students learn at varied rates.
Reiche collaborates with a variety of educational and artistic partners. The Portland Symphony Orchestra, Portland Ovations and Maine Audubon provide programs for all Reiche students. Wayneflete students read with Kindergarteners and mentor fifth graders. Learning Works and Portland Recreation service our students before and after school. ACToR( Arts Come To Reiche) brings musicians, dancers, visual artists, poets and actors to educate our students.
Reiche is the first teacher led and teacher governed school in Maine. Instead of a traditional principal, Teacher Leaders, Four Committees and a Leadership Team collaborate with parents to ensure that our vision and values are reflected in our school community.
Our PTO is exceptional. Parents raise funds for enrichment activities during the school day (Yoga, Swimming and Dance) that every Reiche student can enjoy. In addition, before school and after school activities are planned by the PTO and available to all students. The leadership of the PTO is integrated into the Leadership Team and deeply involved in collaborative problem solving. Parents regularly volunteer in the classroom, tend the gardens and coach our teams. Our Green Team has created a vegetable garden and outdoor classroom that provides a green space in an urban environment, as well as a springboard for hands on learning.
Core Principles Approved by the Reiche School Staff in March, 2011:
- We believe our staff possesses the ability to collaboratively lead the school as we strive to maximize student learning.
- We believe that Reiche is a welcoming, nurturing and safe learning environment.
- We believe in educating the whole child by nurturing each student's social, emotional, nutritional, physical, and academic growth.
- We believe all staff are responsible for all students, and all students are responsible to all staff.
- We value, embrace and celebrate the unique talents and diverse culture of our entire Reiche Community- students, staff, and parents. This diversity enriches us all.
- We believe that we can inspire all students to love and value learning.